Members Present: Douglas Wagoner, Joseph Seia, Rev. Harriet Walden, Rev. Aaron Williams, Suzette Dickerson, La Rond Baker, Prachi Dave, Scott Bachler, Colleen Echohawk, Erin Goodman, Esther Lucero, Mark Mullens, Alina Santillan.
Virtual Meeting Highlights:
They were all attentive and courteous to one another. After the usual land acknowledgment, attendance was taken and there was a quorum. The agenda for the meeting was accepted, and the minutes of the previous
meeting was as well.
There was no public input, although, once again, Commissioners were urged to contact at least one other member of their communities to gain their points of view.
We were told that several things are in process, but there was nothing currently to report.
DOJ/Monitor/City Council/Mayor Updates
- The DOJ had no updates but their representative asked the Commissioners to reach out to her if they wanted to.
- The Monitor had no report.
- A representative from CM Herbold’s Office noted that there would be a Budget Meeting this morning at 9:30 and a meeting on the SPD Budget tomorrow morning.
- A staff member from the Mayor’s Office reported that next week they hope to provide a deeper look at the Budget, and he noted that the Mayor was requesting $100,000,000 for BIPOC in the next Budget.
There were no co-chair updates.
Said that Bylaws would be presented on October 9th. The Executive Director search is ongoing with
Commissioners meeting with the search firm.
Community Engagement Committee
Reported that they were working on a few projects.
Defund Work Group
Esther Lucero led the discussion. She said they needed to move the discussion now to the broader Commission so we have the whole Commission behind their report. She stated that they have heard the DeCrim group, and the question is do we want to support their recommendations. They propose more civilian investigators on OPA, so their is a
question as to the salaries of these civilians. To show respect for them, they need to be treated like regular City Employees. We need to come up with our recommendations in the next two weeks.
Prachi Dave agreed with DeCrim, and thought there should be as much consensus on the Commission as possible as this would allow the CPC to help the broader community.
Erin Goodman felt that there were good ideas raised, but she was concerned about how their recommendations affect the entire community. Won’t there be unintended consequences? While some of their ideas sound good, we need to think about how they will affect the whole City. How to balance this Community’s needs with the entire City. How will Public Safety be affected in this large City?
Esther Lucero responded: Who will assume the risk for Public Safety as a whole? Can we tailor a response for all the communities? Since no one else was commenting, Esther started calling on Commissioners for comments.
Joseph Seia had no comment right now.
Rev. Walden had some of the same concerns as Erin, and she felt that the community people were not behind it. Crime is expanding in the Central District and that is of great concern to the community.
Alina Santillan said he agreed with Prachi, and that when he says “community” he thinks of those people who are most impacted by negative policing. He needed to think about this further.
Nick Christian mentioned that DeCrim had expanded their proposal.
Rev. Walden said that she would look at their recommendations. There is real crime and shootings during the daytime that has her very concerned. Who will assume responsibility for these problems in the interim?
Colleen Echohawk: Excited to talk about this. Rev. Walden regarding crime right now, the SPD is not doing us favors with crime. SPD was wonderful for us last week. We haven't found solutions downtown. Supportive of Decriminalize Seattle. Civilians should be on OPA to help their work. Gave an example of people being traumatized by being contacted by police during an OPA investigation.
Esther Lucero: We could promote pilot effotts for human trafficking, etc. Funding community leaders to lead investigative efforts.
Rev. Walden: We already have community people on the OPA. You want additional ones?
Commissioners responded yes, they wanted more and to explore new ways to investigate.
Douglas Wagoner: We need to usher this moment forward. Reducing use of force in mental health situations, referencing CM Lewis. We should align ourselves with Decriminalize Seattle.
Esther Lucero responded: 911 calls being diverted as appropriate to social workers. We need to make recommendations about budget but also on accountability.
La Rond Baker: We have an incredible opportunity to rethink policing or police accountability. There needs to be a change and how SPD interacts with the community, how low-income communities are treated through bad policing. We need to take strong stances to protect them. Other communities are already protected. We should support Decriminalize Seattle. Some issues may need to be revisited. Increasing crimes show the present system is not keeping us safe.
Suzette Dickerson: Agrees with Erin regarding safety elements we need to be cognizant of taking work away from some organizations or changing structures that are already there. Should we enhance those services with more community input instead of starting from scratch. Would like to continue this conversation next week.
Legislative Agenda Committee
La Rond Baker: Sent a letter to OIR. Need to determine what the top priorities will be that CPC submits to the legislature.
Next week's agenda to include more discussions on defunding, legislative agenda, report from Mayor's Office, and an update from OPA.
Read the latest edition of our monthly newsletter, The Voter, for a detailed look at current events in the League.
SUPPORT THE LEAGUE
Support informed voting!