Members Present: Prachi Dave (Co-Chair), Emma Catague, Rev. Harriett Walden (Co-chair), Rev. Aaron Williams (Co-chair), La Rond Baker, Suzette Dickerson, Erin Goodman, Douglas Wagoner, Alina Santillan, Coleen Echohawk, Joseph Seia, Esther Lucero, Scott Bachler.
Other: Lisa Judge, Ron Ward
CPC Staff: Jesse Franz, Brandy Grant, Shayleen Morris
There was no public comment period.
Virtual Meeting Highlights
There were 47 participants in the meeting - including Commissioners and staff. Everyone was allowed to speak and express diverse opinions, etc. The Commissioners referred to revised by-laws sent out to commission members prior to the meeting and they were not shared on the screen during the meeting, making it harder to follow along as an observer.
Prachi Davis and La Rond Baker were up for re-appointment as commissioner. CPC voted to reappoint both. The group postponed approval of minutes until next meeting because the format is being revised. Co-chair elections due in January 2021.
DOJ/Monitor Update: A female speaker (Christina?) reported that the monitoring plan is to be finalized by the end of January. They are also looking at proposed use of force policies and are interested in the CPC's thoughts on that matter.
Rev. Waldon: Asked if CPC could be more involved with the DOJ monitor. Christina responded that they are in phase two and have moved to getting input from the CPC through the city, and it sounds like, they will continue to be more dependent on the city as the go between.
Ron Ward (Monitor's Office): They have no intention to stop engaging with the CPC at this juncture. He reiterated however that the second phase is going to be quite different, and the goal is to ensure that the city and other partners can function in a sustainable manner on their own.
City Council/Mayor Update: No update or representative present from City Council. Austin Miller present from Mayor's Office, but no update.
Update from Office of Police Accountability (OPA): None, and no representative present.
Update from Office of the Inspector General: No update. Lisa Judge present and referenced report on the sentinel review.
Report on sentinel review
Alina Santillan and Douglas Wagoner had been meeting with a planning group including OIG representatives. The planning group has been working on putting together another group whose focus will be conducting a sentinel review of the 2020 protests - looking at systemic issues and problematic outcomes. The group must start by narrowing their scope. They intend to look at the protests in phases according to dates. They are not looking to assign blame but are looking for solutions to problematic outcomes that occurred. The group will have representation from the CPC, academic experts and other community groups. The group will launch in 2021. Their intention is to involve people who can speak about healing and they want to hold space for everything. Lisa judge said they have been working on getting facilitators that can help with communication between the community and the government and will be bringing in a peace circle facilitator. They want to move forward, not punish people, but prevent bad events from happening again.
Erin Goodman reported that the governing committee had received the 2nd set of revised CPC by-laws. Erin noted that the point of revising the bylaws was to make sure that the structure of the CPC allows the commission to operate effectively. Erin highlighted a couple of significant changes in order to facilitate discussion. The changes include introduction of a Sergeant at Arms in addition to the co-chairs. The individual will ensure that the meetings function according to Roberts Rules of Order, will facilitate public comment, and will be responsible for any investigation into Commission members. The governing committee also established a process for public input during the CPC public meetings. People will sign up at the beginning of the meetings and be avoided a certain amount of time and will be allowed to speak to an item that is on the current agenda. This will be in addition to community engagement that occurring in community.
Next, the governance committee has been operating as an ad hoc committee, that will be changed, and it will be renamed the strategy committee. Another committee that will assume permanent status instead of ad hoc will be the community engagement committee.
Also, under Article 2, administration section of the bylaws, the committee clarified who is responsible for what. It addresses how staff are supervised.
Goodman summarized a resolution that the group needed to vote on. Resolution 20-01 states that any matter requiring a vote must be introduced at the meeting prior to the CPC meeting where a vote will occur. Two-thirds of the commissioners constitute a quorum. Currently that would be 10 people since there are 15 CPC members. Goodman read the resolution into the record and the Commission passed it.
Community Engagement Committee
Joseph Seia not in attendance, and no report was given.
Prachi Dave and Erin Goodman reported that the recruitment workgroup met on 12/14/20 for the first time. They decided that the first step toward expanding Commission members is a gap analysis from which they will develop metrics to assess compliance the accountability ordinance. Jesse Franz will send out a short survey for everyone to take while they are in the meeting to discern experience and diversity represented among the current commissioners. Idea is to understand all of the experience in representation they currently have and what they need to complete the requirements.
Still waiting for a legal analysis of the Consent Decree to inform recommendations.
Legislative and Accountability Committee
Colleen Echohawk reports that they are discussing the upcoming legislative session, and identifying ways to ensure that the entire commission is getting information and the opportunity to meet with legislators. There are some pretty exciting things that they are supporting in the area of police reform.
The Committee will be offering updates and short presentations:
• OIG - Report on the use of force database.
• ACLU will present on their legislative agenda including, state oversight and accountability
• Judge Levinson on will present on use of force.
In January they will have more to share and concrete opportunities for Commission members to get involved.
Crowd Control and Use of Force Policies
CPC set aside an hour on the agenda for an in-depth discussion with Assistant Chief Cordner on SPD’s proposed use of force policies. Brandy reported that on the prior evening, she had received an email saying that the assistant chief would not be attending the commission meeting. The email said that after receiving questions from the CPC, SPD decided that the CPC meeting was not the right venue to have a substantive discussion and had been expecting a conversation about the form of the policies.
Commissioners expressed surprise and frustration that SPD would not be at the meeting. Discussion ensued.
Several commissioners expressed their expectations that the CPC would have meaningful input into the use of force policies and a critical eye on the process. CPC needs to gather input from the community and in order to do so, needed answers to the questions the commission had posed to SPD.
Rev. Williams asked for input from other accountability partners at the meeting.
Lisa Judge from OIG reported that they have also been asked to provide feedback on the new policy to SPD by January 8. She noted that OIG’s role is unlike the CPC because the CPC has to get input from the community regarding the policies.
Prachi Dave, referencing the bullet points and questions that CPC staff had distilled and sent, emphasized that the proposed policies don’t line up with the CPC recommendations or any other body’s recommendations. She posed the question held by many - how is SPD going to get community feedback?
Esther Lucero expressed concern about the level of accountability on the part of SPD. They should be communicating in regard to these changes. She feels that CPC needs to be more assertive in regard to the new policies and community input and Reverend Williams agreed.
Next steps - Alina Santillan stated that he feels the CPC needs to figure out a way to get the information to the public. CPC has sent it to 2 journalists. Also they can recommend that SPD and CPC open portals on their websites to get feedback..
Rev. Williamssaid that he agreed with a statement by Lucero that the CPC needs to have a forum with SPD, and that if SPD is not willing to do that, the CPC needs to sponsor their own forum in January. CPC is expected to collaborate with the community and reflect their voices and the CPC needs to be more assertive in that respect.
Kevin from InSite who was observing the meeting said he has a copy and will publish it.
Prachi Dave summarized CPC’s position- a public forum needs to be held, CPC questions need to be answered and if not CPC will move forward with their own forum and communicate with the media.
Douglas Wagoner suggested that someone call the Asst. Chief and make sure there wasn't miscommunication. Make sure that the CPC did understand correctly. He noted that there is a lot of potential for misunderstanding because the email from the Asst. Chief was less than clear. Brandy Grant will call and the CPC will send a letter.
If commissioners had any additional questions they were to send to Brandy by 12/18.
Franz will reach out to the City Council to see if they want to assist in the forums.
The CPC will form a smaller group to plan the forum for the 33rd or 4th week of January: Santillan, Rev. Walden, Grant, Dave, and Rev. Williams will participate. Representative with SPGA to help get youth participants.
The group working on the tracker has made great progress and Shayleen Morris will be able to send a snapshot of the tracker by next meeting. They also plan to in get input from the community before they go live. Still looking at finishing and launching the tracker by the end of January, 2020. Morris reported ongoing conversation with Councilmember Herbold about the recommendation tracker. Currently no barriers.
Date and agenda for next meeting
January 6, 2021. Continuing discussion on SPD and use of force, and recommendations.
Read the latest edition of our monthly newsletter, The Voter, for a detailed look at current events in the League.
SUPPORT THE LEAGUE
Support informed voting!