Past LWVS-KC Forums and Events
- February 6, 2014 - Gun Safety: A Public Health Challenge
Pete Holmes, Seattle City Attorney, Amnon Shoenfeld, Director of King County Mental Health, Chemical Abuse & Dependency Services Division, and Karen Milman, MD, MPH, Director of King County Public Health Office of Prevention address the current legal environment concerning gun access, suicide, mental health issues and domestic violence, and what a public health approach involves.
View slides from Dr. Milman's presentation.
Watch the Feb. 6 forum online.
- November 9, 2013 Fall Fundraiser - The Other Side of Carbon Emissions: Acidification and the Salish Sea
Speaker: Dr. Terrie Klinger, Barer Professor of Sustainability Science, UW School of Marine and Environmental Affairs and Co-Director of the UW Center on Ocean Acidification
What are the effects of ocean acidification? What action can we take in response? How we can reduce harmful effects on Washington’s shellfish and other marine resources and adapt to the impacts of acidified waters?
Listen to the talk.
Fact Sheet on Ocean Acidification
- October 3, 2013 - Statewide and King County Ballot Measures
Speakers making pro and con presentations for:
- Initiative 517 - re: initiative and referendum procedures
- Initiative 522 - re: labeling of GMO foods
- King County Charter Amendment - re: the department of public defense
- King County Prop 1 - re: EMS (Medic One)levy
We also had speakers making presentations on:
- September 30, 2013 - Seattle Mayoral Candidate Forum at Seattle Center - Incumbent Mayor Mike McGinn and challenger Senator Ed Murray share their visions of how to improve quality of life for all Seattlites, with an emphasis on arts and culture. Topics: historic preservation, public art, arts education, urban design and the design of the Seattle Waterfront. Moderator: Jim Kelly, Executive Director of 4Culture.
- September 5, 2013 - How to Be an Informed Voter/Seattle Ballot Measures
Speakers: Julie Anne Kempf, Voter Services Chair/various
- April 4, 2013 - Campaign Finance Reform
Speakers: Alice Woldt of Washington Public Campaigns and Nick Licata, Seattle City Councilmember
- March 7, 2013 - Renewable Energy - A Path Toward Reducing Climate Change?
Speakers: Sara Patton, Executive Director of NW Energy Coalition; Robert Cromwell, Seattle City Light; Ashley Ahearn, Environmental reporter for KUOW
- Feb. 7, 2013 - Reproductive Rights
- Nov. 10, 2102 Fundraiser: Digging Out from 2008 – WHAT’S NEXT?
Listen to Ted Young's talk on Financial Reform.
View Ted Young's slide presentation.
- Sept. 6, 2012 - Drug Policy Reform: Marijuana Legalization First?
The effectiveness of the current drug policy, which places its emphasis on deterring drug use through punishment, has been widely questioned as a costly and ineffective approach. Proponents of drug policy reform have called for a public health approach to drug abuse, stressing a shift of resources to research, education, prevention, treatment and drug courts, as an alternative to the continued use of criminal sanctions. Former U.S. Attorney John McKay, Kim Marie Thorburn, M.D, and Commander Pat Slack of the Snohomish County Regional Drug and Gang Task Force discuss the topic, with Seattle Times reporter Jonathan Martin as moderator. Co-sponsored by the King County Bar Association.
- April 5, 2012 - Making Plans for the Seattle Central Waterfront
What is the seawall and why is it important? How will the space be used once the viaduct comes down? What other projects are in the works?
Bob Donegan, CEO Ivar's Acres of Clams, Central Waterfront Committee
Nathan Torgelson, Policy and Development Manager, Seattle Parks & Recreation
Jennifer Wieland, Project Manager, Elliott Bay Seawall
Gael Tarleton, President, Seattle Port Commission
- Feb. 2, 2012 - Privatization of Government Services, Assets and Functions
- Nov. 1, 2011 - Federal Government Policies: Rocking the Schoolhouse
- Sept. 8, 2011 - 2010 Census Update: Our Changing Population
View "New Data on Seattle's Demographics," a slideshow prepared by Diana Canzoneri (Seattle Planning Commission)
View "King County's Changing Demographics," a slideshow prepared by Chandler Felt (King County)
- August 4, 2011: Primary Election Forum
- May 5, 2011: Smart Transportation Choices and How to Fund Them
- April 7, 2011: Budget Shortfalls
- February 3, 2011: Wastewater: Can It Be Reused? What are the Issues?
- Jan. 6, 2011: Program Planning
Great information in this document provided by one of our speakers, Dr. Sarah Weinberg, on the federal healthcare legislation and what it could mean to us: Status of Health Care
- September 9, 2010: Celebrating 100 Years of Voting Rights for Washington Women
- April 1, 2010: Making Democracy Work